DESPITE being a progressive scientific achievement of the world during the past decades and accepted by many countries such as the United States, Australia, Canada, and many other developed countries, but biotechnology and genetically modified crops and their applications are still not well known in Vietnam.
It is undeniable that biotechnology and GM foods have significantly contributed to economic, social, and environmental benefits. To update and provide more accurate and complete scientific information on biotechnology, the Vietnam Institute of Applied Medicine, in collaboration with CropLife Vietnam, organized a conference on biotechnology on November 7, 2019 in Hanoi, with the participation of scientists, medical doctors, and other key stakeholders.
The participants enthusiastically discussed and agreed on the following key points:
• Biotechnology is one of the options to ensure food security, food, economic stability, and a sustainable environment.
• Biotechnology has been extensively applied in agriculture, food technology, medicine, and pharmaceuticals to solve many urgent problems in human life.
• Biotechnology, in particular, has great potential and prospects for agricultural development and is considered as one of the important solutions to ensure global food security.
• GM crops help reduce costs, increase profits, bring high economic benefits and have been published by many reputable research institutions and organizations around the world as safe for human health.
• In Vietnam, genetically modified crops have been commercialized and become more popular.